18 August 2013

How to get Long Lasting, Crease Free Eyeshadow



I would always envy girls and women whose eyeshadows looked perfect throughout the day as if they had just applied it. For years, I had problems with my eyeshadow NEVER staying in place and the middle of my eyelids always looked as if I had forgotten to spread product evenly across my lids. Sometimes, as quick as 10 minutes into my wear, the middle of my lid would be bare of the product that I had just applied, leaving my makeup looking tacky and amateurely applied. I was told by many  makeup artists that the shape of my eyelids were possibly the cause of it...:(

Years later, I stumbled upon a Youtube video on primers. I queried many large cosmetic stores here in Durban frantically trying to get my hands on some type...any type of primer that I had heard of on these videos. We are not as fortunate here in South Africa when it comes to makeup brands as compared to all of you lucky devils in the U.S.A, U.K and many other countries. Fortunately, though there was eBay....I managed to get my first bottle of Urban Decays primer potion from eBay about 5 years ago....and I SWEAR by it. What's sad is that 5 years later, SA still does not have Urban Decay on our market, or Two Face Eyeshadow Insurance primer or ELF. We seem to be getting there slowly, with brands like Inglot, Benefit and a few other brands having made their way here.

Getting back to the eyeshadow primers. Everytime I apply makeup, I say a silent prayer thanking the day I stumbled on this video. Primers are the lifeline to makeup that slides and shifts out of place. Not only do they prevent your makeup from washing itself out but it also helps your makeup last longer keeping the colors locked in. I have a few favorites that I keep in my train bag no matter where I am. I've also discovered products that are versatile enough to be used as a primer providing excellent if not exactly the same performance pay off as primer potions.

I have found that with the use of a good primer, almost any brand of eyeshadow remains wrinkle and crease free through heat and sweat.

My all time 3 favorite products that I prefer using to keep my eyeshadows from creasing and caking are:

1. Urban Decay Primer Potion.    
   

                       

Pros:
                        
-soft and silky feeling when applied
-works exceptionally well on oily eyelids
-eyeshadow stays on for hours almost as if it is tattooed on.                                                                        
-cute little genie bottle, although packaging has now changed to a squeeze tube
-available in  4 different shades

Cons:

-NOT available in South Africa:(.... However, you can order through companies that provide      
  international shipping or through eBay)
-EXPENSIVE, but for the length of period that it lasts, it is worth the extra bucks
-leaves a slightly tight, dry feeling and an ashy looking edge if not covered up properly

2. Mac Shadestick           

             
   

 Pros:-

-these are twist up eyeshadows that can be worn alone or as an eyeshadow base or primer
-comes in a variety of colors, so doubles as a base and primer thereby increasing the color
  pay off of the eyeshadow 
-intensifies the color especially for smokey looks

Cons:

-feels a bit dry on application if not kept warm and requires a bit of pressure and tugging to get onto 
  the skin
-not really blendable 
-not that appealing as eyeshadow to be used alone

3. Mac Paintpots






                                   

Pros:

-creamy and highly blendable
-apart from preventing your eyeshadow for creasing, it has extreme colorfast properties and also
  allows for good blending of any product layer on top of it
-has a good vibrant finish
-comes in a variety of light and dark shades

Cons:

-need to work quickly before it starts setting


So my dear glitter and gloss friends, these are my 3 best picks for adding life to your eyeshadows. Remember, do not expect miracle 24 hour wearability but an accepted 5-8 hour smudge proof finish. If you have any other wonder product that I can add to my list, feel free to let me know....








No comments:

Post a Comment