12 December 2013

Review: Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer



Here in South Africa, we are never spoilt for choice when it comes to makeup brands and their products. Although in recent years, the makeup market has been opening up, there still is a lot of products that are readily available in other countries, which are not even heard of here in SA. One of these products being eyeshadow primers. With Mac being a popular brand here, most artists multi- use their products meant for other purposes to substitute for products that are not readily available here. I know I'm speaking in circles here and you are probably cursing me for not getting to the point.

I am venting my frustrations on the lack of availability of decent eyeshadow primers here in SA. Whilst overseas, I came across numerous brands offering quality primers that make even the most chalkiest eyeshadow stay on until YOU decide its time for it to come off. Recently, my backup Urban Decay primer started showing signs of depletion and I was back on the search for a suitable substitute.

Not wanting to spend a fortune on a trial brand, I shopped most Clicks, Dischem and Hub makeup counters with no luck. Eventually, I settled on Smashbox's Photo finish Lid Primer. I think more so because it resembled Urban Decays Primer Potion(a primer that I believe is the best in the makeup industry). I silently prayed that its performance matched that of Urban Decay's as well.

The Price: R185 for a 2.5ml tube. Now that's pretty expensive for such a little amount.








The Packaging: The primer comes in a neat little rectangular box which has enough printed information on it about the ingredients used, suggested application method, shelf life etc and even a photo of the exact size and picture of the tube on the front of the box. I especially love this layout as it saves me the time needed to open the box and pull out a pamphlet that's folded over a hundred times to get the necessary information that I need. It's a 'made in USA brand' that supports animal cruelty free manufacturing.

The Product: It comes in an elongated round plastic tube with a doe footed sponge applicator at the end of the wand. It comes in a universal shade and is oil free- making it perfect for increasing the longevity of the eyeshadow and in reducing creasing to a minimum. It contains Phytomoist, which is a plant based ingredient to help in maintaining the moisture in the area that it is used in. Once opened, it has a shelf life of 12 months.

What Did I Think: I must admit that I found this primer easy to work with. It glided on easily and smoothened out to a soft finish. The one advantage that Smashbox's Lid Primer has over Urban Decays Primer Potion is that it does not dry tight on the lid. It feels silky smooth and gives you ample working time before it sets. My eyeshadow stayed on well over 5 hours without creasing or fading. A little goes a long way and u'll find yourself just needing a tiny dot of product which spreads out quite nicely.

So I guess, until I find a better primer, Smashbox Photo finish Lid Primer will be my choice of eyeshadow primer. It has met all my expectations: a creamy formula, easy to blend, and a little going a long way.... with the exception that I find it heavily overpriced.

My Overall Rating.... a well deserved 9.5 out of 10(minus half for the price).

If you have come across any good lid primers, please let me know. I'm eager to see if there are any other brands that can match the competency of Smashbox.







No comments:

Post a Comment