17 September 2013

Review: NYX Eyeshadows

I can't exactly recall when my obsession with eyeshadows began but I do remember the time when my makeup draw just consisted of a few basic shades from Yardley. I guess as I started earning my own money, I splashed and splurged on any shade that was attractive to the eye and not really focussing on a particular brand. After being introduced to Mac in 2003, I became incredibly loyal to the Mac range of makeup and didnt bother with any other makeup brand. I do however recall buying a few shades of a makeup brand called NYX(and was reasonably happy with its performance) which was not available in South Africa at that time(2003). Then on my visit to America in 2005, I noticed that NYX was extremely popular there. Recently, I was thrilled to see that Clicks carried the ENTIRE range of NYX products.


Part of Clicks NYX range 


I decided to swatch a few of their eyeshadows to see if there was any improvement in their quality which would break my loyalty to Mac, lol. What I did find, was pleasantly surprising and therefore decided to add these products on my 'less money, more makeup' list.


The eyeshadows that i swatched felt smooth, creamy, intensely pigmented and there was consistency in the performance of majority of their colors. They have a range of about 50 some odd eyeshadow colors coming in textures of matt, shimmer, sheer, frost, glitter and metallic. There was sufficient product in a single swipe and the need to go back to the shadow to pick up more product was really not necessary.




I always apply eyeshadow over a primer and base. Having said that, I found that there was a POP in color and it felt really soft on the skin.




In terms of the duration of the wearability, for the price, I think that it is excellent giving you a wear of non creasing and caking for a minimum of 4-5 hours which is pretty good considering I have oily lids which are ever so slightly hooded:(

I did however find a slight bit of fallout, but this I experience with a lot of Mac eyeshadows as well.

Finally, the price.....the pressed or flat shadows are priced at R79, with the pearl flat shadows at R89. Their pigments and glitter come in 5ml bottles and are just R44. This may look small but will definitely last you a long time. Their trio eyeshadow palettes are priced at R120. Not bad at all

What I also noticed was that they have a lot of colors very similar if not identical to many Mac eyeshadows. I will be swatching them and creating a list of NYX colors that can be used in place of the Mac shades.

So follow me as I compile my NYX- MAC dupes(duplicates).


No comments:

Post a Comment