20 September 2013

Review: NYX Jumbo Pencils

I am generally not the type of person who buys makeup on a whim or without constraint. If its a color that is missing from my collection or if its a real deal and I find the color attractive, I may spend but not without the 'should I, shouldn't I?'...lol. But that doesn't mean that I have never splurged on makeup in a moment of weakness. Having been an ex e-bay shopaholic, I had once made a purchase of ALL the NYX jumbo pencils after watching many makeup gurus using them. I made a bit of use with the pencil in Milk but the rest was tossed away at the back of my draw and was soon forgotten. After doing the review on the NYX eyeshadows, I decided to dig up these long forgotten babies from their hibernation and give them a chance to impress me once more.

I have mentioned previously that I am a die hard Mac fanatic, and anything not Mac always slipped under my beauty radar. Having said that, I also realized that not all products in a brand range will be definite hits....u will get a few misses amongst them, be it Mac or be it Rimmel. I also learned that if you give a product a chance, you are sure to find items that are worth much more than what you've paid for them and which you will find yourself really treasuring. One of those products are the Essence range of Long Wear cream eyeshadows that I've reviewed recently and another is the NYX makeup range.

I have swatched my long lost beauty budget friends and the results were quite pleasing. Check out which ones were a hit for me and which I would give a miss....




















Pros

After swatching all of the colors that I own, there are a few colors that I would definitely be making more use of. I found that they were astonishingly pigmented and the texture of the pencils were creamy and very blend-able. They were easy to apply with no tugging and pulling of the skin like most shadesticks or pencil eyeshadows. It is soft and glides evenly without much pressure. Most of the colors had a radiant shimmer to them especially the darker shades. For me, the big plus is that it doubles as a sticky base when you need something for your eyeshadow to grab onto. Also, if you have a very sheer shadow which is not well pigmented and you want to deepen the color, these will be an excellent buy. I found whilst washing it off in between swatching that it did not come off easily with water and soap and that I needed a cotton wool ball soaked in hand wash with a pressured rub to wash them off. For me that's a quality we all want in an eyeshadow or base. 

Cons 

The only problem I foresee with these is that creasing is a possibility especially if you have very oily eyelids. I for one would not want to wear it as an eyeshadow on its own but for those that donot have a problem with oily lids and creasing, it provides a foolproof application and may be a good buy for those mornings where time is of the essence and you need a quick slap of color on your lid. Some of the lighter colors applied were very sheer and looked somewhat blotchy- so watch out for that if you intend buying one of the light, pastel shades. To overcome the problem of creasing, make sure you blend it out well try not to apply it past the lid crease. The other problem I foresee is sharpening the pencil. I would suggest placing it in the fridge for a few minutes to harden before sharpening to prevent it from breaking. 

Overall for me, this is a win . The colors that I loved were Horse Raddish, Pacific, Bronze, Baby Blue, Black Bean, Milk, Gold, Rust and Hot Pink.


No comments:

Post a Comment